Joe Banner

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Dead Poets

Poetry is when you want to feel sorry for yourself. It's when you want to tell everyone exactly how you feel, with a disclaimer that reads,"Yeah, I feel like shit, and I'd like you to know, but I don't want to discuss it, because then I'd have to admit to myself how pathetic I am, and right now, I just want pity. Deal?"

Poetry is when you want to tell someone that they are beautiful. It's when you want to say exactly why you love them- explicable much, but with a disclaimer that reads," Yeah, I'm totally in love with you, and I'd love if you knew just how needy and weird I am, but I really suck at handling rejection, so right now, let's just 'pretend' that I 'dropped' this journal, okay?"

Poetry is when you want to take the sheet music you wrote, which just happens to be stashed between your favorite book and a jewelry box on your shelf, and put some lyrics to it. It's when you want there to be meaning behind that awkward hum of yours, silly song you tried to write on someone else's guitar, but with a disclaimer that reads, "Yeah, I know I feel like this, and it's really cheesy, and kind of awful, and doesn't even rhyme that well, but if you totally have an epic freak-out-throw-down when you hear it, it's real easy to stash, and of course, hey, it's just a song."

Poetry is when you spew out your most conceded, awful, shameful little feelings at high speeds, dishing out syllables in vicious slashes; speaking so quickly with practiced consonants that the confession dawns seconds after your silence is filled by rosy cheeks and straggled breathing. It's when you hide your thoughts with due warp-speed in an aimless attempt at swift mercy -unfound- with a disclaimer that reads," Yes, of course I'd love to tell you everything that I've ever wanted to hide, but based entirely on the fact that I'm not strong enough to handle a reaction of any sort, I've found comfort in confusing you with nonrhythmic slam poetry, because if you give up before I actually tell you, it's a much more merciful business."

No comments:

Post a Comment